Our team advises domestic and foreign companies, entrepreneurs, and individuals in cross-border and multinational transactions and related matters. We have extensive experience guiding companies through detailed regulatory processes and structuring and closing complex international deals. Our goal is to make the intricate web of international laws understandable and workable for our clients.
We have helped companies do business all over the world. Our practice specialization includes cross-border transactions — particularly involving trade-controlled defense articles and services — that have occurred in more than 30 countries on 5 continents, and in numerous industries, including aviation, aerospace, defense, technology, and transportation.
No matter the industry or size of client, however, we are passionately committed to providing timely, practical solutions specifically tailored to achieve our clients’ objectives.
Our team offers an array of services designed to optimize our clients’ ability to engage in an efficient and timely exchange of goods and services across borders, while fully complying with all applicable laws, regulations, and trade agreements.
Cross Border Transactions
International mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures
International joint ventures & strategic alliances
International contracts, including drafting documents and enforcement of contractual provisions
International Supply, Distribution and Services Agreements
Cross-border Licensing Agreements involving intellectual property rights
Advice on foreign market access barriers encountered by U.S. exporters
Establishment of subsidiaries/joint ventures in foreign countries
Global supply chain management
International logistics, including freight forwarding
International Traffic in Arms (ITAR) governing military products and technology controlled on the United States Munitions List (USML)
Export Administration Regulations (EAR) governing commercial and “dual-use” items controlled on the Commerce Control List (CCL)
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC)
Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS)
Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC)
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
Advice on import laws and procedures, including tariff classification, valuation, and special duty programs
Tariff classifications, valuation, duties and fees as well as the country of origin and marking of their imported products
Office of the U.S. Trade Representative
U.S. Foreign and Commercial Service
North American free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and other free trade agreements
Buy American Act (BAA)
Trade Agreements Act (TAA)
Compliance programs and training
Investigations and enforcement
Restricted parties lists
International Business Transactions
• Counseled aircraft operator on contract negotiations for provision of multiple aircraft and manpower services for border patrol operation in Libya.
• Handled state-backed Israeli investment of a majority interest in U.S. military aircraft manufacturer including Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) approval.
• Developed and advised international joint venture between US commercial client and Canadian entity to perform critical infrastructure assessments globally.
• Led establishment of multinational sugar wholesale distribution enterprise in six countries.
• Drafted regulations adopted by Panama’s Directorate Merchant Marine Department legalizing the use of armed guards aboard Panamanian flagged-vessels.
• Negotiated with Lloyd’s of London syndicate managers to create the first-ever maritime counter-piracy risk umbrella policy.
• Advised tactical provider and led its international expansion into Australia and Africa through formation of multiple entities, including off-shore tax-beneficial holding company.
• Advised Aircraft lessor client’s rights and remedies in UK liquidation liaising with local counsel.
• Led equity restructuring of Singaporean water producer and its South American subsidiary operations.
• Structured international dealer agreements for U.S. aircraft manufacturer.
• Successfully obtained Commodity Jurisdiction for OEM on fully-acrobatic, twin-turbine Javelin aircraft, involving multiple industry briefings and negotiations with State, Defense, Commerce, and several DOD agencies.
• Performed ITAR compliance assessment for United Arab Emirates Presidential Guard’s special operations forces training curricula, and obtained export licensing technical assistance agreement following U.S. Congressional Notification.
• Advised SOCOM defense contractor on FCPA issues on the engagement of overseas sales representatives, consultants, distributors/resellers and logistics services providers.
• Designed and assisted in the implementation of formal ITAR compliance programs for aerospace, advanced sensor, and advanced robotics clients.
• Commodity jurisdiction (CJ) legal opinions and formal CJ request preparation and determinations specifically designed or modified for military applications for U.S. manufacturers of mil-spec coatings, aerospace components, communications hardware and storage units.
• Assisted manufactures and exporters in obtaining registration export, reexport, and marketing (DSP-5) licenses under the ITAR and Export Administration Regulations for multiple aerospace and defense companies.
• Worked with aerospace and defense-related companies to obtain ITAR licenses and agreements.
• Performed defense services and deemed export/foreign national reviews on behalf of middle-eastern client.
• Assisted multiple drone manufacturers with export/ITAR support of foreign demonstrations, marketing and sale efforts.
• Developed comprehensive export controls and embargo/sanctions compliance program for foreign national tactical training and services provider.
• Represented UAS, aviation, and aerospace and defense companies in their ITAR and EAR compliance and international transactions.
• Classified and determined license requirements (including exemption eligibility) for products under the U.S. Munitions List for various UAV and aerospace and defense companies.
Our team of lawyers are ready to understand your needs and offer you the best solution!